Friday 25 April 2014

On the South Bank

It's a tourist favourite, but locals use it too.  There are plenty of opportunities to be parted with your cash (aquarium, London Dungeon, London Eye...) but there is also an abundance of free, public, space.  The boy and I go to the South Bank a lot.  Even when it's raining, the Royal Festival Hall is a fantastic spot for him to run around in.

I just wanted to share a few snaps from our recent visits, where we took advantage of the beautiful roof garden and allotment area on the top of the Queen Elizabeth Hall, as well as the new public "sculptures" that have proven a huge hit with children.  I have to say the roof garden is currently my favourite hang-out spot in London.  If you get there early (by 11am) it is blissfully quiet and you can just take in the views.  I feel like I am hovering above the crowds below, rushing towards the London Eye or Big Ben, and the steady traffic on Waterloo Bridge.  The garden itself is beautifully kept, with lots of herbs and fragrant flowers for the boy to sniff.  Watching the boy play here, amongst the bumblebees and grasses, I am the happiest mum in the world.

An urban outdoor paradise!




I'm linking this post up to Coombe Mill's Country Kids linky.
Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

5 comments:

  1. I love the buzz that surrounds the South Bank and the roof garden sounds like a little oasis. Thanks for linking up and sharing your fun in the sun with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting another great linky! X

      Delete
  2. So green and I am loving the purple giant crocs like play area =) #countrykids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pixiedust! Yes it was pretty awesome, the boy loved it... X

      Delete
  3. What a great tip about the roof garden, I have never been there and it is definitely a place I will be taking the children soon. Mel #CountryKids

    ReplyDelete